Thursday, June 14, 2012

Let's Ask - Question # 9

This week's Let's Ask question was for the marvelous Beth Stilborn.


My question for Beth:

For those of us who are struggling on the path of being a published children’s book author can you share 3 or 4 resources you found most beneficial for growth as a writer that supply answers, writing challenges, incentives and inspiration?

     Thank you, Jennifer for inviting me to be a part of this series, and thank you for asking me to share resources! As anyone who knows me (whether online or in person) can attest, I love to find and share resources – with no formal training in education or librarianship, I find I have spent my life teaching and finding just the right resource to suit the situation.



Limiting myself to 3 or 4 resources is tricky, so I’m cheating. (Does it count as cheating if one freely admits to doing it?)




1.   Emma Walton Hamilton. Emma is an author, educator, freelance editor, and the driving force behind three of the resources I most want to share with all emerging writers.


a)  The Children’s Book Hub http://www.childrensbookhub.com

     The Hub is a subscription-based resource and virtual salon for writers and illustrators, emerging and established. It offers a myriad of resources to members. There is an online forum where members can form community, sharing and learning from each other.

Above all, there are monthly Expert Interviews in which members are able to listen in online to an interview conducted by Emma, with interviewees such as picture book author/illustrator Peter H. Reynolds, middle grade author Kate McMullan, YA author Patricia McCormick, editor Emma Dryden, marketing consultant Susan Raab – the list goes on.

Two weeks later, every month, there is a Question and Answer session with Emma alone, exploring the topic of the month more deeply. Members submit questions for both these teleseminars, and so the information gleaned from them is just what people need at the time.

Four Hub members (including myself) who attended SCBWI LA last year found that many of the break-out sessions intended for emerging writers were too elementary for us, as we had learned so much from Emma’s teleseminars.

I know that money is tight for a lot of people, but I strongly urge you to invest in your writing career by coming up with the $19.95 per month that it costs to belong to the Children’s Book Hub.

The Hub’s Facebook presence: I also must include a plug for the Children’s Book Hub Facebook Group, which Emma and I co-administer. It’s free of charge, and is a gathering place for children’s writers, illustrators and editors to share resources and encouragement. You can request to become a member of our Facebook Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/childrensbookhub/


b)  Just Write for Kids http://www.justwriteforkids.com

     This is an online/home study course in writing picture books that Emma developed a few years ago and recently revamped. I have taken this course, and can vouch for its efficacy in teaching me how to write a picture book. I return to the lessons again and again as I work on new picture book projects, as well as other writing projects.

Over the course of eight weeks, lessons arrive in your email inbox, but you can proceed at your own pace. There is opportunity for questions, interaction, and feedback on the website. I found Emma’s knowledge to be solidly grounded, and her boundless enthusiasm was immensely encouraging. It was well worth the cost, in my opinion.



c)   Emma’s blog http://www.emmawaltonhamilton.com

     Emma’s blog is a treasure trove of information for emerging writers. I particularly recommend her series of posts on writing picture books, especially if you cannot afford the Just Write for Kids course. This series formed the basis of JWFK although, of course, JWFK goes into much more depth. The series begins with the post “Who’s Your Hero?” and the other posts in the series are listed in a box along the right side of the post. http://www.emmawaltonhamilton.com/q-whose-your-hero-a-your-reader/


     To learn more about Emma and her work, please see the interview posted on my blog on June 6, 2012: http://www.bethstilborn.com/emma_walton_hamilton_interview/


     By my count I’ve only shared one resource so far, so I get to share a couple more. (I stopped believing in math in second grade, so my counting is creative, to say the least.)

2.   Cheryl Reifsnyder’s blog  http://www.cherylreif.com/

    Cheryl Reif Writes: How to Thrive on the Writer’s Road is an inspiring, information-filled, fun blog. The information about herself on her blog indicates that she writes “fun science stuff for children and adults” but she also blogs knowledgeably about writing, marketing, and the plethora of other issues that come up as a writer tries to learn all that is required in the complex world of authorship.


3.   The book Second Sight: an editor’s talks on writing, revising & publishing books for children and young adults by Cheryl B. Klein
Through a series of talks given at various conferences and other venues, the author gives practical advice, useful examples, workable exercises on nearly every topic that could occur to an emerging writer – writing in various genres; creating query letters; character, plot and voice; revision techniques – all written in an easily accessible style.

I also recommend her website and blog. Both can be found at http://cherylklein.com/


     I could go on and on listing resources, but I’ll stop at just “three.”


Bio: Beth Stilborn lives, writes, blogs and searches for resources in her aerie on the prairie (one floor below the pigeons’ penthouse). She writes picture books, chapter books, middle grade fiction and adult fiction, but all too frequently forgets to write grocery lists. While publication in any of these genres, including grocery lists, is still in the future, Beth believes wholeheartedly that the possibility of publication is far closer thanks to the wonderful resources and opportunities listed above, and also thanks to the support of the incredible kidlit community.

You may find Beth
(when she’s not functioning as a scare-pigeon on her balcony)
at the links below:





Thanks for all your help today Beth!


23 comments:

  1. Good question, Jennifer -- and a great response from Beth. Thanks to both of you for these excellent resources. I haven't taken Emma's course, but I can vouch for the PB-writing series on her blog, which has helped me focus on some sticky issues. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee! I'm glad you found this post helpful, and I'm delighted to read the endorsement of Emma's blog series on picture book writing.

      Delete
  2. Love and value all these great resources that Beth has named! Super advice, as always, Beth.

    I don't have a problem writing grocery lists. I do have a problem remembering to take them to the store with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanna!

      I want everyone to know that I wrote a grocery list this morning, then, following Joanna's sterling example, left it at home. (I did manage to get everything but one item.)

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does this. For me it's always a repeated offense.

      Delete
  3. Great resources, Beth! I'm familiar with all but the last, so I will have to check that one out. Thanks for all the valuable info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susanna. I discovered the book "Second Sight" in one of my many circuits around the book tables at SCBWI LA last summer, and it was definitely one of my best purchases.

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for inviting me to post on your blog today, Jennifer! It was a great exercise for me to pick just "three" of all the resources I've come across. ("Three" being a relative term...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I loved having you on here today sharing such useful advice and resources. I really can't thank you enough.

      Delete
  5. Good information Beth. I'm not familiar with the last two resources you mentioned. But, I know starting with Emma's course and Hub got me started on the right foot. Good interview ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat! I'm very glad you said just how beneficial JWFK and the Hub have been for you. I don't like to imagine how I'd still be struggling in my writing without them.

      Once in a while I post one of Cheryl Reif's blogposts on the Hub FB Group -- she often has something helpful to say.

      Delete
  6. Beth, I don't know if that's cheating. Maybe there's a picture book story in that ... Love the resources. I'm still working through the Just Write for Kids program. I got a bit sidetracked. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... who knows, maybe my July manuscript will involve a little girl's struggles with math. Or a little boy's!

      One of the great beauties of Just Write for Kids (besides the wealth of information it provides) is that one can work at it at one's own pace. I so appreciated that myself, because it happened that I was taking the course when my Mum died. That changed my ability to complete the course in the intended timeframe. And that was okay.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Beth. These sites look wonderful. Beth, your bio made me giggle. This year a couple of pigeons have decided that my house is the best place to hangout. They drive me nuts with their cooing.

    Jen, another wonderful question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rena. I hope you'll find the resources useful.

      It isn't so much the cooing as the messing of the pigeons that drives *me* nuts. And every time a bus goes by, they want to drive. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Haha. I know what you mean! Just the other night a handful of pigeons were trying to stay up late but I told them no. Mo Willems would be proud!

      Delete
  8. Beth, I love your Emma Walton Hamilton answer. It's like making a wish for a thousand more wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I love that! "Making a wish for a thousand more wishes." YES! Thanks, Kirsten!

      Delete
  9. Great question - and I agree with all the resources you suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer -- You definitely asked the right person this question. Beth always posts excellent resources on the Children's Book Hub FB page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric! Yeah, Beth was more than helpful. I'd love to take Emma's course in the future.

      Delete

Love to hear what you have to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...